Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

South Side Day Nursery Papers, 1886-2010

<< Back to search results

Search within this collection

Identifier: A2744

Title: South Side Day Nursery Papers, 1886-2010

Description:

The South Side Day Nursery, organized in 1886 by fifteen Unitarian women and incorporated in 1888, is the oldest daycare facility in the St. Louis area and one of the oldest in the country. At its inception the nursery was intended to charitably assist working mothers in south St. Louis by providing quality care for young children. The nursery was housed at 1621 South 10th Street from its founding until November 1951, when the building was vacated in order to make way for expansion of the 3rd Street Interregional Highway. The St. Louis Variety Club underwrote a loan to complete construction of a new building at 2930 Iowa Avenue, which opened in December 1953. Over the years the role of the organization has substantially expanded to include social services and community-development efforts. The nursery is still in operation today.

The South Side Day Nursery Papers consist of bound volumes, loose papers, and photographs relevant to the operations and history of the South Side Day Nursery. The papers will be of particular interest to researchers investigating St. Louis history, the history of the Benton Park West neighborhood, non-profit management, St. Louis charitable organizations, and the history of early-childhood education and social work.

11 boxes

Finding aid available.

Cite as: South Side Day Nursery Papers, Missouri History Museum Archives, St. Louis.

Rights: UND

Place:

Dates: 1886-2010

Type(s): Documentary Artifacts
Collection

Maker/Creator: South Side Day Nursery

Subjects: Nurseries
Children
Education
Day care centers
Child care
Charities
Social service

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/201988

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."