Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Pate's Gambling House, Ten to Twelve North Fourth Street.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N44511

Title: Pate's Gambling House, Ten to Twelve North Fourth Street.

Description: Vertical photograph of four-storey storefront. Signs read: "G.S. Tourville Books, legal blanks, gold and fountain pens"; "Steinmesch Feeds Seeds Poultry Supplies". Note on back reads: "10 and 12 north 4th Street, opposite east front door of Old Court House, where mileage of St. Louis is measured from. This building was erected about 1855; from 1869 to 1881 it was occupied by Robert Pate - Bob Pate's Gambling House, the most noted gambling house in the U. S. at that time, where millions of dollars changed hands over night. Habituйs were Steamboat Captains and Owners, prominent lawyers and business men also a few professional gamblers. Building wrecked, June 1920."

Rights: UND

Place: United States
Missouri
St Louis

Dates: 1920-02

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator: Papin

Subjects: Papin
vertical
black and white
outdoors
N. 4th St.
Steinmesch
G.S. Tourville
Commercial buildings

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/155753

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."