Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Southeast corner of Seventh Street and Olive Street.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N39301

Title: Southeast corner of Seventh Street and Olive Street.

Description: Southeast corner of Seventh Street and Olive Street. The building with people on the balcony is the Fire House of Missouri #5 Voluntary Fire Co. on the east side of Seventh between Olive and Pine. Merry and Glenny Grocers is pictured at 92 Olive Street. Prior to the first paid fire department in 1857, all fire fighting in St. Louis was done by volunteer fire houses located throughout the city. The Missouri #5 Voluntary Fire Company operated from 1839 to 1858 with the motto “Press On.” During the Great Fire of 1849 Captain Thomas B. Targee of Missouri No. 5 died while spreading explosive power in an attempt to stop the fire from spreading, an attempt that was successful, leading his actions to be dubbed what “ultimately saved the city from total destruction.” The fire was stopped, having lasted from 9pm to 8am, killing three people, destroying 430 buildings, 23 steamboats, 9 flat boats and an uncertain number of barges, with a grand total of destruction around $2,750,000.

Rights: UND

Place: United States
Missouri
St Louis

Dates: 1859

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator:

Subjects: Daguerreotype
horizontal
black and white
outdoors
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)
Seventh Street
Olive Street
92 Olive Street
Fire stations
Missouri #5 Voluntary Fire Co.
crowd
Children
workers
Men
Merry and Glenny Grocers
A. Armfield and Co. Chemists
apothecary
wagon
Horses
cart
St. Louis Theater
Barry Sullivan
Commercial buildings
St. Louis Street Scenes

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/154631

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."