Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Southeast corner of Ninth and Olive Streets, looking west on Olive.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N39166

Title: Southeast corner of Ninth and Olive Streets, looking west on Olive.

Description: Pedestrians, cars, and streetcards at the southeast corner of Ninth and Olive Streets, looking west on Olive. Scruggs Vandervoort and Barney department store is pictured at right. The dry goods firm of Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney was organized in 1868 by Richard Scruggs, Charles E. Barney, and William L. Vandervoort. Thanks to their monumental success they opened a new, bigger store, occupying 8 floors of the Syndicate Trust Building and 8 floors in the connected Century Building. In the winter of 1932 dealer Armand Hammer came to St. Louis to set up in Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney to sell Faberge Eggs from that belonged to the now ousted Russian Royal Family. Opening day of the sale attracted 5000 visitors and during the first week of the display sales topped $100,000 for the store.

Rights: UND

Place: United States
Missouri
St Louis

Dates: 1951

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator:

Subjects: horizontal
black and white
outdoors
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)
Ninth Street
Olive Street
cars
Automobiles
streetcar
streetcar tracks
Commerce
Pedestrians
Street lighting
Gett's
jeweler
Baldwin Pianos
black cat
Commercial buildings
St. Louis Street Scenes

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/153391

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."