Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

P. E. Burke's Bar, formerly the Francis P. Blair residence, northwest corner of 7th and Walnut.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N03975

Title: P. E. Burke's Bar, formerly the Francis P. Blair residence, northwest corner of 7th and Walnut.

Description:

Horizontal, black and white photograph showing P. E. Burke's Bar at the northwest corner of 7th Street and Walnut, formerly the Francis P. Blair residence. A "For Sale" sign can be seen on the side of the three-story brick building, and several of the third-floor windows are missing. A fire escape runs from the upper floors down the side of the building. Cars are parallel parked along the curb, and several pedestrians can be seen in front of the building. A large sign painted on the side of a neighboring building reads "Goertzen's Bar". A handwritten note along the lower edge reads: "Dr Wm G Swekosky."

See the back of the print for handwritten notes from Dr. William G. Swekosky regarding the succession of ownership of the building. It was built in 1845 by Joseph Ridgeway, a merchant and realty speculator, who sold it to Francis P. Blair, Jr. Subsequent owners include Henry Blaksley, Henry Blaksley Collins and his wife Edith Collins, Edith Kennerly, Collins Brothers Drug Co., and 7th Walnut Garage. The building was razed in 1926, presumably to make way for a parking garage.

Rights:

Place:

Dates: ca. 1910

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator: Holt, Charles Clement, 1866-1925

Subjects: Architectural photography
Bars (Drinking establishments)
Saint Louis (Mo.)
Buildings, structures, etc.
Commercial buildings
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/153260

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."