Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Old St. Louis Cathedral seen from the southeast corner at Third Street (Memorial Drive) and Walnut Street during the land clearance for the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, 20 November 1940.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N40593

Title: Old St. Louis Cathedral seen from the southeast corner at Third Street (Memorial Drive) and Walnut Street during the land clearance for the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, 20 November 1940.

Description: The Old St. Louis Cathedral as seen from the southeast corner of Third Street (Memorial Drive) and Walnut Street during the land clearance for the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, 20 November 1940. The Basilica of St. Louis, King of France is actually the third church to sit on this site, being completed in 1834. It underwent renovations in 1850 that included the demolition of the orphanage and priests home and the rear brick addition. At a cost of $63,000 to build, it was the most expensive structure in St. Louis at the time it was built.

Rights: UND

Place: United States
Missouri
St Louis

Dates: 1940-11-20

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator: Richard Moore

Subjects: Richard Moore
vertical
black and white
outdoors
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)
Third Street
Memorial Drive
Walnut Street
Old Cathedral
Catholic Church
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (Saint Louis, Mo.)
Gateway Arch
land clearance
Automobiles
cars
Public architecture
Land and Land Use
St. Louis Street Scenes

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/152806

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."