Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Corner of Tenth and Locust Streets, looking west on Locust Street.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N39351

Title: Corner of Tenth and Locust Streets, looking west on Locust Street.

Description: Looking west on Locust Street toward the intersection of Tenth and Locust. Pictured at left are the Syndicate Trust Building and the Delany Building. The northwest corner of the intersection is dominated by the Kinloch Telephone Building. Kinloch was the largest telephone company in St. Louis at the turn of the century with 1,000 customers. The building was modernized in 1954-1955 for occupancy by the Farm and Home Savings and Loan Association. Granite panels were hung on the facade and the windows and doors were updated with glass, stainless steel, and aluminum. Modernizing building exteriors was a popular phenomenon in the 1950s. Construction had been stagnant during the Great Depression and World War II. Most of downtown's buildings were holdovers from the turn of the twentieth century, when St. Louis was the nation's fourth largest city. The ornate exteriors of these earlier buildings were seen by critics as a reminder of the city's decline. Architects and developers saw faзade remodeling as a way of redirecting the focus to downtown's future.

Rights: UND

Place: United States
Missouri
St Louis

Dates: 1920

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator: W.C. Persons

Subjects: W.C. Persons
horizontal
black and white
outdoors
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)
Tenth Street
Locust Street
Pedestrians
streetcar tracks
power lines
cars
Automobiles
Street lighting
Eiseman Bros.
awnings
Commercial buildings
St. Louis Street Scenes

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/152570

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."