Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Northwest corner of Sixth Street and Market Street.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N39311

Title: Northwest corner of Sixth Street and Market Street.

Description: The Market Tavern and other businesses at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Market Street. Businesses are located at 601-607 Market Street. A menu with prices is visible outside a coffee shop. Advertisements for Hyde Park Beer are featured at the Market Tavern, seen here. An addition to St. Louis City included 4 blocks set aside for a public park that became known as Hyde Park. In 1862 William Moran selected a site adjacent to the park to run his brewery, Emmett’s Brewery. They name was changed to Hyde Park Brewery in 1876 when it came under new ownership. After the repeal of prohibition the company produced Hyde Park True Lager Beer and Hyde Park ’75. The company continued to prosper and in 1948 was bought by Grisedieck Western Brewery, the producers of Stag Beer.

Rights: UND

Place: United States
Missouri
St Louis

Dates: 1941

Type(s): Photograph
Image

Maker/Creator: W.C. Persons

Subjects: W.C. Persons
horizontal
black and white
outdoors
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)
Sixth Street
Market Street
601 Sixth Street
603 Sixth Street
605 Sixth Street
607 Sixth Street
Fire escapes
Hyde Park (Saint Louis, Mo.)
Market Tavern
cars
Automobiles
Pedestrians
Sing Lee Laundry
Hotel Wayne
American Theatre (Saint Louis, Mo.)
Coffee shops
menu
Hydrants
El Torreon Hotel
Street lighting
Commercial buildings
St. Louis Street Scenes
Beer

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/152236

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."