Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Manuscript detailing the history of the Ernest C. Angelrodt residence at 9th and Angelrodt.

<< Back to search results

From collection:Part of:

Identifier: N06634

Title: Manuscript detailing the history of the Ernest C. Angelrodt residence at 9th and Angelrodt.

Description:

8 page manuscript describing the history of the residence at 9th and Angelrodt and its owners. The manuscript was written by Dr. William G. Swekosky and gives biographical sketches of Ernst C. Angelrodt, who built the mansion in 1840, and Samuel Gaty, who purchased the home from Angelrodt in 1853. Angelrodt came to St. Louis from Prussia in 1832 and returned after selling his home to Gaty. While in St. Louis, he was a partner in the wholesale grocery firm of Angelrodt, Barth & Eggers. Samuel Gaty came to St. Louis in 1828 from Jefferson County, Kentucky and was a partner in the foundry Gaty, McCune and Co. The manuscript also describes the boundaries of the property and the changes to the routes of the neighboring roads since the home's construction.

2 pages of the manuscript gives a history of the Beverly Allen-Sturgeon mansion property at 1410 East Grand Avenue. These pages describe the streets and lots laid out by Samuel S. Snow when he subdivided the property into "Sturgeon Subdivision."

Rights:

Place:

Dates: 1940-1960

Type(s): Document
Image

Maker/Creator: Swekosky, William G., 1895-1964

Subjects: Biography
Germans
Missouri
Saint Louis
Houses

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/151768

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."