Title: Fourth Street looking north across Chestnut Street.
Description: Fourth Street looking north across Chestnut Street. Logos for several railroad companies are featured in the windows of the Pierce building which is located at the far right side of the photo (the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut), including: Lackawanna Line, Chicago and Alton Railroad, Pennsylvania System, Pennsylvania Lines, Union Line, Vandalia R.R., El Paso and Southwestern Southwestern Route, Salt Lake Route, Erie, What is now part of the Adams Mark Hotel was originally known as the Pierce Building, and was built in 1906 by Frederick C. Bonsack. Bonsack was also responsible for designing many homes along private streets in St. Louis. In 1908 the Civil Courts of St. Louis moved to the 17th floor of the Pierce Building and remained there until the new civil courts building was completed in 1930. Upon this move, the city of St. Louis paid for a tunnel to be dug that connected the Old Courthouse and the Pierce Building and installed a book conveyor to provide access to the law library in the Pierce Building to judges working in the Old Courthouse!
Rights: Under Copyright Protection
Place: MO; St Louis; Fourth ST, St Louis, MO, MO
Dates: 1918 to 1928
Maker/Creator: W.C. Persons
Subjects: W.C. Persons
black and white
Downtown (Saint Louis, MO)
Buxton and Skinner Stationery
St. Louis Street Scenes
Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."