Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Forest Park

<< Back to search results

Search within this collection

Identifier: P0136

Title: Forest Park

Description: In 1876 St. Louis City designated 1,371 acres west of downtown St. Louis as Forest Park. By the 1890s the public park was widely used and included bicycle paths, baseball diamonds, and lawn tennis courts. A lake allowed citizens to go boating and ice-skating. The western half of the park was the site of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904. Forest Park is currently the nation's seventh-largest urban park. It contains sports and recreation facilities, as well as public buildings like the St. Louis Art Museum, the Missouri Historical Society's Jefferson Memorial Building (now known as the History Museum), the St. Louis Zoo, and the Jewel Box conservatory. This file contains views of Forest Park and its sites and buildings arranged by date and alphabetically by site. Subjects include: the Municipal Opera (now known as the Muny); Tent City for World War II soldiers; winter scenes; entrances; boating scenes; Boat House; pavilions; bridges; Cottage Restaurant; tennis courts; bandstands; fountains; McDonnell Planetarium; St. Louis Zoo.

Rights: UND

Place:

Dates: ca. 1876 - ca. 2000

Type(s): Collection

Maker/Creator:

Subjects: Louisiana Purchase Exposition (1904 : Saint Louis, Mo.)

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/140508

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."