Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

Kiel Auditorium

<< Back to search results

Search within this collection

Identifier: P0032

Title: Kiel Auditorium

Description: The Kiel Auditorium collection contains construction progressives for the Municipal Auditorium as well as interior and exterior views from the 1930s. In 1932 St. Louis architects Louis LaBeaume and Eugene S. Klein completed construction on the Municipal Auditorium. The building contained an auditorium for hosting conventions, expositions, and sporting events as well as an Opera House for musical performances. In 1943 the building was renamed Kiel Auditorium in honor of the former St. Louis mayor, Henry Kiel. In 1992 the city turned the building over to a private development group that razed the auditorium portion to build a multipurpose sports facility to replace the St. Louis Arena. The new Kiel Center opened in 1994 while the Opera House theater remained closed. In August 2000 the Kiel Center was re-named the Savvis Center.

Rights: UND

Place:

Dates: ca 1932 - ca 1965

Type(s): Collection

Maker/Creator:

Subjects:

Permalink:
http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/140473

| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."