Title: Swekosky Notre Dame College Collection
Description: Dr. William Swekosky (1895-1964) was a St. Louis dentist and amateur photographer. He lived and operated his practice in the Soulard neighborhood until the construction of Interstate 55 forced him to relocate to South Jefferson. He developed a love of old buildings in his youth, while he worked in the title department of a Clayton bank. He both took his own photographs and collected photographs of old St. Louis buildings. Many of the structures he recorded were demolished during the Urban Renewal and freeway construction decades of the 1950's and 1960's. The Swekosky Notre Dame College Collection consists of photographs taken by or collected by Swekosky and given to the Sisters of Notre Dame. Subjects include: downtown residences; commercial buildings; parks; street scenes; public utilities; road construction; South St. Louis; cemeteries; monuments; transportation; central St. Louis; North St. Louis; West St. Louis; outside St. Louis; (more).
Dates: 1875 to 1885
Maker/Creator: William Swekosky
Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."