Search Our New Beta Online Collections!

John Compton Brickey Papers, 1816-1818; 1837-1889; 1909; 1973

<< Back to search results

Search within this collection

Identifier: A0174

Title: John Compton Brickey Papers, 1816-1818; 1837-1889; 1909; 1973


John Compton Brickey and his brother Franklin W. Brickey, sons of John Brickey, resided in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri. John, born February 8, 1816, in Potosi, Missouri, purchased land circa 1838 and established Brickey's Landing in Ste. Genevieve County. He resided there (except for two years in California during the gold rush) until 1888 when he moved to Festus, Missouri. He married Mary Carpenter, who died January 31, 1845. A year and a half later he married her sister Emily. He owned Brickey's dry goods store along the Mississippi River in Ste. Genevieve County.

Family and business correspondence of John Compton Brickey and his brother Franklin W. Brickey, as well as correspondence that discusses current political situations; account books and mercantile record of Brickey's Landing, 1840-1842; list of boats observed from Brickey's Landing passing up and down the Mississippi River, May-August, [184?]; typescript letter of John S. Brickey to grandson, John Randall Weber, dated July 4, 1852, describing trip to East Coast and stay in Washington, D.C. In addition, there are six volumes of financial accounts of John C. Brickey and Franklin W. Brickey for general merchandise sales, lumber sales, and wood hauling at Courtois Mills, Brickey's Landing, and Ste. Genevieve, 1837-1851.

2 boxes; 6 volumes

Cite as: John Compton Brickey Papers, Missouri History Museum Archives, St. Louis.

Rights: UND

Place: United States

Dates: 1837-1889

Type(s): Documentary Artifacts

Maker/Creator: Brickey, John Compton, 1816-1903

Subjects: Finance
Politics and government
River life
Mississippi River
General stores


| More

Disclaimer: We are working to create a web-based collection index. Information available through this website should be considered "draft only."